Video storyboard:

I will be heading downtown and interviewing Crooked Crown about their store and Covid.

I want to investigate what the stores are doing to help keep people safe with covid, while also driving business to the store.

For a basic plan I will add an introduction of myself, footage of the store, and introduce Lieren, an employee from Crooked Crown. I will ask her about who she is and what the store is. I will include footage of the store’s product here. I will transition this to asking how they operate with covid and what precautions they have in place. During this I will have clips of the precautions they have like the hand sanitizer and the signage. I will then transition to a final statement on what experience they want their customers to have. I will have a close off from me, and finally I will have a hand drawn animation that would represent the downtown logo for the Kamloops Downtown website.

I will add labels to add context and closed captioning. I will also have music during the quiet parts of the video such as the outside shot of the store and the animation at the end.

Interview questions:

Interview questions:

• Please introduce yourself and the store plus your position in the store.
  • What are some of the core values of the store? What is the mission you guys have to provide for your customers?
  • How has Covid changed the way you operate?
  • What safety measures do you have in place to keep employees and customers safe with the holiday season around the corner?
  • What experience do you want your customers to leave the store with?

Audio interview outline:

1 – Goal: 

My goal for this interview is to bring a positive story to downtown. So often we only hear about the negative information surrounding downtown, however in reality a lot of positive things can occur. I want to discuss with someone how being downtown really affected them in a good way.

2 – Audience: 

The people of Kamloops. I would like to drive business to this area and in particular lower income stores such as Simply The Best Thrift Store. My audience could be a variety of ages so I want to make sure it’s clear and concise for everyone to enjoy.

3 – Core Information:

I will go to a downtown store and ask “Downtown often gets a negative perception. I wanted to know if you have any positive stories or impacts that really left a positive light on you?” – this was taken directly from my audio clip. Record what their answer was. Edit the answer with key parts of the story. I need to make sure that the overall tone of the audio is happier and heartwarming.

4 – Detailed outline: 

I want to open with some royalty free music and do a transition to me introducing the story with this script:

“Often downtown kamloops gets painted in a negative light. I wanted to bring a positive twist to this and talk to a local business and hear stories directly from them about the people that directly affected their life for the better. I got the opportunity to talk to Laine from simply the best thrift store about a downtown experience that forever changed her.”

It will then transition into Laine’s interview.

I will cut out all necessary pauses and moments of thought.

Other parts to be cut out is when conversation strayed from the original goal or details that did not add to the story.

Post interview: Her story was about a guy that showed her that she wanted to commit her time to the store. Most of the information can remain in order, it just needs to be split and parts removed when the audio did not add context.

I am undecided as of writing this if I will have music playing throughout the interview at a lower volume; or just have music for the start and end. – After finishing the audio I decided to go with music louder at the start and end but playing throughout at a lower volume.

Edit some background noise out, however leave some in the background for the atmosphere of being in the shop.

The original audio is around 5-6 minutes long so a main focus is bringing this to below the 2 minute mark.

Informative Story with photos:

Title: A Stores Savior. I also want to add a brief explanation on what sort of story it is to indicate that it is an opinion/discussion piece.

My overall goal is to have a discussion with one of Kamloops Downtown Store, capture what details they were truly passionate about, translate that into something on the educational side on how we as buyers can help stores like that. I want my readers to know why they should consider taking their money to locally owned business.

My audience would be the people that would consider shopping at these places and downtown store employees. I want it to be lighter in tone and less information heavy because the average person might lose interest in complex numbers and business terminology. I also want to drive business to these stores rather than away from them.

All information will be gathered from talking to store employees and the store owners. Mainly from Kevin the manager of Wild Cave who agreed to answer my questions. Also get information by walking around and getting a first hand feel for how business operates in the downtown setting. This is mainly to cover why it helps them but will also briefly dig into the pros and cons of both local and online.

Introduction:

• Introduce the issue
  • introduce the person interviewed and the store/their position in relation to the store
  • This is where I want to add the photo of the outside of the store so readers can immediately connect it to a location.

Main body paragraphs:

• Paragraph 1
    • Why should you shop local. What does spending money online take away from their business. Basic math that draws a comparison between spending your money in the two places. What that money might go towards long-term.
    • I want the photo of Kevin here so readers can see who I was talking to so they can get a face to the story.
  • Paragraph 2
    • I want this paragraph the show the benefits of in person shopping. To focus on the fact that not only do you support them but you get benefits from it as well.
  • Paragraph 3
    • I want to touch on an issue that is preventing many people from getting downtown and how the downtown association doesn’t necessarily support its vendors- hence why they are even more in need of support from local shoppers.
    • I want the photos of product to follow this so the readers get a sense of what things they sell and what sort of fun things you can find downtown.

Conclusion:

• I want to keep relatively short and sweet. Reaffirm that shopping downtown is a positive experience that will benefit them in contrast to the competition. This will link it to prior things mentioned in story.